Solid Waste Management Rules which govern transportation of solid waste.

Online Permit Application for Transporting Solid Waste. NEW

Permit Application For Transporting Solid Waste Instructions are attached to the application form.  There is a $200.00 application processing fee which must accompany the completed application. This application may be filled out on-line and saved or printed. The completed form must be telecopied, e-mailed or sent via postal mail.

Waste Rejection Report This report may be filled out on-line and saved or printed. The completed form must be telecopied, e-mailed or sent via postal mail within 5 days of rejection. Alternatively, the information may be called-in to the Division of Waste Management.

Transportation Related Publications

Notes Regarding Waste Transportation

  • If you are transporting TENORM, typically oilfield related, or waste contaminated with TENORM, such as filter socks, a TENORM license which is issued by the Radiation Control Program is required. This license will be required before issuance of a Transporters permit by the Division of Waste Management.

  • A permit is required for all transportation of solid waste collected from or delivering to a destination within North Dakota.

  •  Oil field related activity: wastes such as brine, drilling mud, invert mud, tank-bottom sediment, pipe scale; flyash used for pit reclamation are all considered solid waste and require a transporters permit if transported.

    Additionally, please note that under the North Dakota Association of Oil and Gas Counties, when using a county road in any of the effected counties, if you are over weight, or over dimension, or if your vehicle is a Crane, Work-over rig, or a Construction vehicle, you must have their permit.

  • A permit is not required for pass-through transportation, that is, no pick-up or drop-off within North Dakota.

  • Permits are issued for a period of not more than 5 years.

  • Permits are not transferable.

  • Permits are required for contractors as well as sub-contractors.

For additional information regarding transportation contact Derek Hall by telephone at 701-328-5168 or via e-mail.

Manifest Requirements

The hazardous waste electronic manifest (E-Manifest) system for tracking hazardous waste shipments is anticipated to go into effect nationwide on 30 June 2018.

Learn about the hazardous waste electronic manifest system (e-Manifest).

The EPA revised the Hazardous Waste Manifest Forms used to track hazardous waste from a generators site to the site of its disposition. Handlers of waste may obtain new forms from any source that has registered with the EPA to print and distribute the form.

  • Large quantity generators must submit a copy of the signed manifest within 21 days of the date:

    1. When first signed by the generator and transporter; and
    2. When signed by and received from the designated facility or alternate facility.

  • Small quantity generators and conditionally exempt small quantity generators are not required to submit manifest copies.

The manifest copies should be sent to:

North Dakota Department of Environmental Quality
Division of Waste Management
918 East Divide Avenue, 3rd Floor
Bismarck, ND 58501-1947

North Dakota does not have any state-specific waste codes.

For additional information regarding manifesting contact Chris Roob by telephone at 701-499-5207, or 701-328-5166 or via e-mail.