School Lead Hazards Survey


School Contact Person for Survey:



Section I. Risk of lead in paint, soil and dust.

Do you have any school buildings constructed prior to 1978? If yes, how many buildings:

Do children 6 years of age and younger occupy or visit your school more than two days a week?
(A child-occupied facility is defined as a building or portion of a building constructed prior to 1978 and visited regularly by the same child, 6 years of age or under, on at least two different days within any week. Child-occupied facilities may include, but are not limited to, day care centers, preschools/kindergartens and common areas of schools.)

Has your school ever been tested for lead-based paint (LBP), lead in soil or lead in dust by a North Dakota-certified LBP Inspector/Risk Assessor?
(North Dakota Lead-based Paint Firms)

Does your school have deteriorated paint or varnish on the inside or outside of your building(s) or on playground equipment?
(Deteriorated paint or varnish is paint or varnish that is cracking, flaking, chipping, peeling or otherwise separating from the substrate of the building component.)

Do you plan to conduct any renovation work at your school in the next two years that will impact a painted, varnished or stained surface?
(Testing prior to renovation is required for LBP. LBP Inspectors and Risk Assessors are required to have a North Dakota LBP certificate. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s [EPA] Lead Renovation, Repair and Painting Rule [RRP] requires that general contracting firms performing renovation, repair and painting projects in pre-1978 schools, day care centers and child-occupied facilities be certified by EPA, use certified and trained workers and follow lead safe work practices.)

Have any of your maintenance personnel attended certified LBP abatement or LBP renovation, repair and paint (RRP) training in the past six years?

Has your school been part of an elevated blood lead level environmental investigation?
(The North Dakota Department of Health and/or the local public health unit would have been present in the school to conduct the environmental investigation.)

Important Note: Section II of this survey is only for use by schools which receive water from a regulated water system (referred to as water supplier). If your school has its own source of water, it may qualify as a public water system and be regulated under the Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA) requirements. Please contact the North Dakota Drinking Water Program for more information

Section II. Risk of lead in drinking water.

Have you or your water supplier ever found elevated lead in tap samples collected within your school?
(An elevated lead tap sample would have a lead level higher than 20 parts per billion [ppb].)

Does your school’s plumbing contain high lead solder or brass components?
(High lead solder and brass were commonly used before the “lead-free” requirements of the SDWA took effect in 1986 [History of Lead Regulation in Drinking Water Supplies]. A licensed plumber may be able to provide you with this information if you do not know.

Is the water service line which connects your school to the main water line a lead pipe?
(Your water supplier or a licensed plumber may be able to provide you with this information if you do not know. [Identifying Lead Service Lines and Plumbing])

Does your school have any lead pipes or lead pipe fittings in the plumbing system?
(Plumbing installed before 1930 is more likely to contain lead than newer plumbing. Your water supplier or a licensed plumber may be able to provide you with this information if you do not know.)

Does your school have water coolers that are not lead-free?
(Appendix E – Water Cooler Summary, 3Ts for Reducing Lead in Drinking Water in Schools: Revised Technical Guidance)

Section III. Any yes response in Sections I and II indicates your school could have potential for the presence of lead hazards. The risk level increases with the number of yes answers.

Are you interested in obtaining additional information to help further assess your school for lead hazards?

For more information:
Lead-Based Paint Program (701-328-5188)
Drinking Water Program (701-328-5211)